Master the game of Japanese Chessor shogi with this easy to follow shogi guide.
The game of shogi is a chess-like game of strategy long played in Japan. This book is the ultimate strategy guide on shogi for beginners and experienced players alike. The step-by-step instructions an easy to follow diagrams lead the reader through the strategies and intricacies of one of Japan's most popular war games.The book includes explanations of:
- The shogi board
- The moves of the different pieces
- The effective use of the various pieces in game situations
- The use of "paratroopers" (pieces captured from an opponent)
- Defenses against attacks
- The relative value of each of the pieces
- A sample game and commentary
- various possible openings and their results
- How to read a Japanese score
The books author, Trevor Leggett, head of Japanese-language broadcasts for the BBC, is an expert guide, holding a rank of fourth dan in shogi making him the ideal teacher for a Western audience.